'To become Calgary's most professional and respected civil contractor. Providing the best quality work, while maintaining the highest safety standards, completing every project on time.'
'Our people are the pride of North Star and by cultivating relationships with clients and employees we are building integrity, excellence and opportunity with each new development.'
Safety Beliefs and Policy
The Health and Safety of our Employees is of the utmost importance; it influences our actions, guides our decisions and shapes our culture. North Star strives to constantly improve our safety program and in the foundation of our program is the education to both our field and office staff. By setting a standard higher than that expected by our clients and subcontractors, we are able to maintain a safe working environment. North Star has a full time NSCO (Nationally Certified Safety Officer) with over 10 years of safety experience. We proudly hold a COR (Certificate of Recognition) through the Alberta Construction Safety Association of which we have been a member for over 10 years. North Star believes that information sharing and education training will help to mitigate risk of injury and accidents while on the job site. Safety is the shared responsibility of every worker and subcontractor and by working together we are able to achieve excellence in all aspects of our operation.
North Star Contracting Inc is committed to an effective Health and Safety program that aims to protect all employees, visitors, contractors, sub-contractors and the environment from accidents.
To fulfill this commitment to people, property and the environment, management will provide and maintain a safe and healthy work environment equal to or better than industry standards and in compliance with legislative requirements.
Our aim is to eliminate any potential hazards, which may result in accidents to personal injury, illness, or damage to any property.
Managers, employees, supervisors and any contractor at all levels are responsible and accountable for the company safety initiatives. All employees will perform their jobs in accordance with established safe working practices and procedures and in line with government legislation.
Management supports full participation in the health and safety program by all employees and will provide the proper equipment, training, meetings and orientation. Our Goal is to enjoy a safe and healthy workplace free of accidents to either personal or property.
Quality Management Plan
North Star ensures that all aspects of every job are successfully completed to the highest standard by monitoring the quality of workmanship throughout the entire project. North Star accomplishes this by providing control plans, working with quality suppliers and ensuring our equipments are running as per manufacturer's specifications.
- Quality Control Plan
- Utilizing contract specifications and industry standards, we are able to lay out the framework of a quality control plan. Project planning and scheduling are taken into consideration to ensure that both internal/external QC/QA teams have the information required to test and monitor onsite activities. North Star partners itself with McIntosh Lalani Engineering Ltd (an accredited firm) to provide quality control testing on all of our site activities.
- Quality Equipments
- North Star has state of the art equipment that utilizes up to date GPS technology to ensure quality end product results. North Star has an 11,000sq ft. internal shop and field mechanics to ensure that our equipment is performing at its best
- Quality Products/Suppliers
- North Star has aligned itself with suppliers that have internal quality control plans that meet and exceed industry standards. Burnco and Inland are our main suppliers of concrete, aggregate, and asphalt. Both have internal quality control teams that ensure that the material supplied meet specifications.
North Star Contracting Inc. is committed to environmental responsibility in all areas of operations. We affirm our commitment to our clients, employees and neighbours through the following policy:
North Star Contracting Inc. is committed to protecting human health and the environment through compliance with applicable federal, provincial and municipal environmental laws and regulations. We continually strive to reduce the environmental impact associated with our operations, and will achieve this commitment through the application of the following principles:
- North Star Contracting Inc. will comply with all applicable environmental laws and regulations.
- North Star Contracting Inc. will not create unacceptable new risks to the environment and will strive to minimize risks from existing environmental conditions.
- North Star Contracting Inc. will take preventative measures to minimize the quantity and degree of hazardous waste resulting from its operations.
- North Star Contracting Inc. will strive to become a leader in environmental protection and enhancement, by way of continually evolving practices and procedures and consistently executing due diligence.
North Star is proudly involved with numerous associations in the construction industry that help to make North Star Contracting a better company within the community. We are proud to support the following organizations:
- Alberta Construction Safety Association
- Alberta Roadbuilders & Heavy Construction Association
- Calgary Construction Association
- Canadian Construction Association
- Merit Contractors Association
- Urban Development Institute
- Canadian Homebuilders Association
North Star has worked in many communities around Calgary and we strongly believe in giving back to the communities and organizations that help to make Calgary a great place to live. North Star proudly supports the following charities:
- Business for Calgary Kids
- Building Hope for Kids - Alberta Children's Hospital
- Mens Health Awareness (Movember)
- Woodridge Charity Golf Tournament
- Alberta Mentorship
- CJ kids Fund
- Salvation Army Kettle Kick Off
- Stampede Foundation
- Camp Kindle – Kids Cancer Care
- West Springs School
- SAIT Polytechnic